

Coop loved sitting in the big theater chairs and when I joined the boys, he asked if I brought popcorn. We hadn't talked about popcorn, and he doesn't eat popcorn, but I think he saw all the other people in the audience with the tasty treat, so he assumed that's just what you do. However, this mama brought something better than popcorn as a little treat...chocolate chip cookies!
I wasn't sure how the whole movie would go. Would he sit still? Would he talk? Would he want to leave? Would the dark theater make him nervous? He was a little antsy during the previews, but once the actual movie started, I think he was mesmerized by the large screen and he sat pretty still. He was great about whispering to Philip or me when he needed something, too. So far, so good!
I wasn't sure how the whole movie would go. Would he sit still? Would he talk? Would he want to leave? Would the dark theater make him nervous? He was a little antsy during the previews, but once the actual movie started, I think he was mesmerized by the large screen and he sat pretty still. He was great about whispering to Philip or me when he needed something, too. So far, so good!
About 40 minutes into the movie, Coop started leaning more and more on my arm. And within a few minutes of that, he was out. Yep, completely and totally asleep during the movie, which wasn't quiet, by the way. And, honestly, he fell asleep at a good part, when the crashes and explosions really picked up. I think Philip and I were both happy that he fell asleep when he did. We woke him up with just a few minutes to go in the movie so he could see end.
Overall, I'm glad we took him and it was so fun to see the experience through his eyes. And since then, we play movie theater a lot at home. He'll set up chairs, show me where to sit, bring me "popcorn and whimonade" (which is usually a bowling pin as the popcorn and a wrench as the lemonade), turn off the lights and tell me "Time be quiet. Movie starting!".That night we headed to Gammi's and Poppi's house to celebrate Poppi's birthday! Nothing says "Happy Birthday" than Mimi's Chocolate Cake. Yummy!

I love that Cooper is starting to understand more that birthdays are a special day. He loves to sing "Happy Birthday" and LOVES to help blow out the candles. He even helped me put all the candles on the cake, and if you look closely, you might be able to see that each candle is perfectly spaced throughout the cake. He did that completely on his own. What does that mean about his little personality?!

If only Mimi could see him now...It's hard work eating that much cake.
The following day, we finished off our weekend-of-fun with a visit to see Fireman Paul at the fire station!
During our tour of the station, Cooper was really interested in what's in all the fridges in the big kitchen and checking out all the bunk areas where the firemen rest and sleep. But, once he walked into the garage area and saw all the trucks, he was all about jumping in the driver's seat.
He insisted on wearing his cowboy boots, of course, and his fireman hat. So maybe he wore it backwards the entire time...that's ok. It got him even more attention from all the firefighters.
Fireman Paul showing Cooper how to work the jaws of life. Yikes!
Cooper loved spending time with Ben and following him around the garage. They climbed on the ladder truck, the hazmat truck and got to play with all sorts of fireman tools and gear.Did I mention that it was like 112+ outside? Didn't stop this little red-cheeked guy!
We tried to get a picture of Cooper with Fireman Paul sitting on the front of a truck, but Cooper literally did not stop walking around and exploring long enough for Philip to snap a photo. Oh well. I'm hoping to make one more visit to the station before Baby Brother is here. We'll try again then.
Fireman Paul is kind of like a superhero around here, and since this visit, Fireman Paul is talked about at least once a day. Whenever Cooper hears a siren..."Hey! That Fireman Paul!" When we read books... "Maybe Fireman Paul like this book?" When we listen to songs... "Maybe Fireman Paul sing cowboy song with me?07.30-31.2011

















No comments:
Post a Comment