Friday, December 23, 2011

Looking at Christmas Lights

I remember as a child how much fun it was to go look at Christmas lights every year. We did this in Brownwood and in Dallas, and I just remember how much I loved it and was amazed by all of those bright lights. It's something I've always been excited to do with my kids.

We've been trying to do fun Christmas activities with Cooper now that he understands Christmas a little more and knows to get excited about those special outings. Tonight we decided to head to a nearby neighborhood and check out the beautiful light displays. This is the same area of town that we would "tour" when I was little, so it was fun to take Cooper there, too. With most of these houses, no expense is spared when it comes to Christmas decor--lights, decorations, music, moving displays, nativity scenes, reindeer, nutcrackers and lots and lots of Santas!

When we told Cooper we were going to look at lights, he wasn't quite sure what to expect, so he didn't act excited initially. But once he saw all the twinkly lights and huge trees wrapped in blue, white or colored lights and all the characters in front yards, he was loving it! Several of the houses have displays where you can get out of your car and get a closer look. Coop really liked those houses!






This house was voted "Most Outstanding" in the neighborhood. It was like a candy land mansion. Lights everywhere, huge packages, Christmas jack-in-the-boxes, over-sized lollipops and candy canes, trees dripping in white and red lights. They even had a small candy land play house in the front yard. There were gates around the house, so we couldn't get close to anything, but it sure was amazing.


This picture is blurry, but totally makes me laugh. He was trying so hard to get inside that candy land!


Our last stop was a little gazebo. The last time I had been to this gazebo was with Philip. It was before we had kids, before we were married, even. At least nine years ago? It was Christmas time and we decided looked like a fun place to exchange our Christmas gifts. So we sat in the middle of the gazebo and exchanged gifts. It was fun to be back there, not only with Philip, but with one little guy running circles and the other little one wrapped up in my arms.



I'm looking forward to making this an annual tradition with my sweet boys.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...